BMW SMG How it works.

In regards to this talk on the BMW SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox).  Here is
the skinny on the way it works....the short version....
The SMG is the traditional 6 speed (I think), modified with an automatic
clutch actuator.  In other words, if you ripped it out of the car, you'd see
a real clutch (replaceable as any other clutch) plus a whole bunch of
hydraulic hoses plugged into various parts of the housing.  Somewhere down
the line would be a computer keeping everything smooth and running properly.
As we speak, BMW is working on improving the drivability of it's 1st
generation SMG.  The car can be driven in full automatic mode but you need
to let off the gas between upshifts to keep it going smoothly.  The system
is pretty simple, there is your basic gear shift that only goes either back
or forth and three buttons on console (sunglass holder).  From what I
remember, they where Automatic (toggle button), Reverse and winter?  (I
forget, it's been awhile, sorry!)

I have driven a Euro-m3 with the SMG in Lebanon last July and one unique
feature that I discovered was if you hold the lever forward from a stand
still or any gear, it keeps the clutch in.  In other words, you CAN feather
the clutch.  It'll run to about 4,000 rpm before it dumps automatically.
This allows wheelspin for a better launch.  It takes about half an hour to
get used to a real "manu-matic" transmission.  Once you do though, it beats
anything else on this side of the road!  It's extremely quick in shifting, I
beat the heck out a Saudi Arabian guy (He had Saudi Plates on the back) in
his dark Blue Ferrari 456 automatic.  ( I think it was, he didn't take his
hands off the steering wheel to shift.)  Keep in mind it's not my car but my
friend's from Beirut.  Well enough of my babbling, but to keep the record
straight on it's speed:

BMW had quoted that 7 of the 10 test drivers that tested/abused the car
where faster in the SMG then they would be in a traditional manual
transmission on the track, even though the SMG in inherently heavier with
all it's new hydraulic components.

Best Regards,
Ron
All of this was from memory, if I've left something out, or you find
something in error....feel free to add to the discussion.
Oh yah, the Smexus and the Porsche use traditional automatics (clutch
packs).

'98 323is          Silver/Silver
'98 Boxster Tiptronic     Silver/Black/Black Top
and a whole bunch of other toys!