<E28> re:535is Clutch

Rui sez
>This morning I went to check out a 535is which I am considering buying.  I
>had never driven an e28 series car and I was somewhat taken back by how
>stiff the clutch was.  The guy said that this is how it is supposed to be

this is *not* how it is supposed to be
I had the same thing told to me when looking at an E30 325is
 (ya man, it's a performance car, really stiff clutch.. ya right!)

common problem with E28 and E30 cars though

saved from a previous digest Dan Patzer (bmrfamly@domain.elided) sez
.  The clutch throw-out bearing has two tabs on opposing sides, where the
.throw-out arm grabs and presses evenly as it thrusts the throw-out bearing
.into the pressure plate fingers.  These tabs have the nasty habit of
.snapping off.
.  The remaining tab will apply pressure to the bearing assymetrecally and
.cause the inside of the bearing to scuff against the allignment sleeve
.which covers the transmission input shaft.
.  This assymetry is also harmful to the fingers of the pressure plate, and
.the throw-out bearing needs immediate replacement.  Care must be taken when
.inspecting the guide sleeve, the throw-out arm, the pivot post, and the
.pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft (Use only double-sealed
.bearings, not the open-face type).

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002