RE: 318 ic

Rob,

The off idle stumble is not normal, not sure what is causing it, but you
should have it checked out.  If you are letting the clutch out fully before
you reach 2,000 rpms, this could be your problem, there is very little
power below 2,000 rpms on this car.

If the car is a 94 or newer they came from the factory with the "new and
improved profile gaskets".  I have a '94 with over 95,000 miles on it,
without a failure.   In fact the only repair problem I have ever had with
this car is heat cracked fog lights, the rest has just been maintenance.

To put down the top, first roll down all of the windows.  The car has a
switch just to the left of the shift lever in the middle position.  This
will roll down all of the windows with one touch.  (also use this switch to
raise the windows after you have put the top back up, it supposedly
realigns the windows for you.)  Next, again from inside the car, release
the top with the handle directly above the rearview mirror.  Push up on the
top about 6 inches or so, you will feel the proper position.

Get out of the car and and lift the back of the top up.  Do this by using
your right hand to lift the back corner of the top below the rear window.
At this point you can lift the back corner almost 90 degrees to a vertical
position.  With your left hand reach down thru the left rear passenger
window and pull on the boot release lever.  (it looks just like the door
handles).  The boot has a saftey catch on it so you will have to release
it.  Raise the boot to a vertical position and carefully fold the top down
in to the storage area.  Close the boot like you would the trunk of the
car.  Raising the top is just the reverse.

>Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:47:20 -0500
>From: "Robert Rhodes" <rrhodes@domain.elided>
>Subject: RE: 318 ic
>
>  I drove the 318ic I have been looking at yesterday and I have a couple of
>questions for the collective wisdom of the group.
>
>  First, it has a noticeable off idle stumble.  When stopped, if I press the
>gas it hesitates for a moment before revving up.  It's not noticable in
>driving conditions but is there both when cold and when hot.  Any ideas?
>
>  Second, how can I check to see if this car has had the profile gasket head
>work?  The dealer has some records, but nothing that reflect this work. I
>have the vin number Waba 7313nej12625.
>
>  Third, how do you get the top to go down?  I was able to disconnect the
>top from the header rail and flod is part way back.  I also got the rear of
>the top to come loose.  I could not figure out how to release the hard cover
>behind the rear seats to stow the top.
>
>  Thanks again and thanks to those who responded to my first posts.
>
>  Rob Rhodes
>  1987 528e

PS.

To all of those people with pretty cars that like to take up two spaces let
me tell you what I do.  I immediatly turn around and go home, park my
bimmer in the garage.  Hop in to my 1974 rust colored (its not colored its
real rust) F100 redneck battle cruiser and park within a few inches of the
offender.  I do  always get out on the other side, because I don't want to
cause any damage.  I have even had it keyed a few times, didn't cause any
damage, just removed some of the rust.

Kevin Lee
Vulcan Industries
(205) 640-2433