Re: BMW's new Cornering Brake Control (CBC) -- it does what???

Brian Kennedy asks about the CBC explanation in BMW Mag:

> Okay, so no braking at outside front, reduced braking at both rears, and reduced
> braking at inside front.  Hmmmm.  CBC basically prevents you from braking while
> cornering.  I guess that's one way to improve handling while cornering and braking.

Brian

There is something wrong with that explanation.

Actually there is "additional", or full braking force applied to the
"outside front" wheel, while it is applied at a lesser controlled rate
to the other wheels.

See the BMW technical explanation at the following site - need to select
the CBC item.

http://www.bmwusa.com/experience/technology/cornering.html.

Of further interest about CBC. It is be touted as new on the new 3
series, and on the 5 & 7 for 1999, but it was on the E39 5 series right
from its model start. I saw this on a British model speck and asked BMW
Canada why it was not on our cars. I was told that it was, but that BMW
never advertised that fact till this year - no reason given.

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada
E39  97 540ia (apparently with CBC)