Re 535is Clutch

>Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:47:41 -0500
>From: "Rui Fernandes" <rpf@domain.elided>
>Subject: 535is Clutch - Need info quickly
>
>Hi,
>
>After reading over the replies to my question regarding what is the best BMW
>for under $10K I've come to the conclusion that a 535i or 535is is the car
>for me, it has all the ingredients that I've come to appreciate about
>BMW's -- I could go on but I'd be preaching to the choir.
>
>This morning I went to check out a 535is which I am considering buying.  I
>had never driven an e28 series car and I was somewhat taken back by how
>stiff the clutch was.  The guy said that this is how it is supposed to be.
>I've driven many cars before and I've yet to experience a clutch as stiff as
>this outside of large military off-road vehicles.  Is the clutch in the
>535is supposed to be stiff in general?  Could anyone give me some info on
>this subject?  How about longevity of the clutch, and what are the signs
>that it is about to go?
>
>TIA
>Rui Fernandes

It depends.  BMW clutches are a bit stiffer than others but not
excessively.  If it is too great, there are a couple of causes.  The clutch
is hydraulic and the slave piston could have popped out of its detent in
the release arm  This is an easy fix taking about 20 minutes to fix.  A
second cause could be a tab broken off the throw out bearing.  This would
necessitate tranny removal for replacement - about a 6-8 hour job for a
mechanically inclined person.

A third cause could be the throw out bearing binding on the tranny input
shaft.  Same level of repair difficulty as the broken tab.

Suggest you drive another E28 for comparison.  Maybe someone in your area
that is on the list would volunteer to let you drive their car around the
block.

FWIW...

Norm
*	Norm Grills 	Lone Star BMW Riders            *
*			Plano TX - K1100/LT		*
*			IBA - SS1000                    *
*           Planned:    '99 WAT                         *
*                       '99 BL5K                        *
*   "A bend in the road is not the end of the road      *
*           Unless you miss the turn"                   *
*							*