Why do theTimed performance test?

Here are some examples of why this could be interesting...
How many folks would find it interesting that a stock M6 is actually slower
30-80 than an stock 2.8L Z3?  How about an extreme example of a stock 328i
able to
out accelerate a stock E30 M3 in 30-80 or even outbrake one from 80-0?

Now I'm not saying those things above are true, but wouldn't it be neat
to come up with some stats to compare between models.
0-60 times don't tell the full story.  30-80 and 80-0 are things we do
nearly
every week as car owners.

The other natural fallout is comparisons of chipped cars to factory
chip cars.  Is a factory chipped car only .1 seconds slower than a chipped
car in a 30-80 test under wot (wide open throttle)?  The question here is
not midrange rpm better driveability in these tests, its absolute
performance.
If a dyno can't be accurate with OBD2 cars, this test will be
accurate...the car is either faster or its not.
If the difference in time is truly less than 0.5 seconds than how
meaningful
is it to the average driver on city streets to be 0.5 seconds faster or
even a
car at driver school (since at driver school is only like 8/10ths right?  I
will
reserve comment on you 10/10 folks)

These tests are absolutely credible.  Why? because we don't drive a
car on a dyno we drive on freeways, backroads, etc, and  we don't correct
for temps
 and tire pressures on the way to work.    We just drive!!!
How the total package works is what makes a BMW the Ultimate Driving
machine.
These tests answer nothing in terms of handling, etc.
I would just like to peel the onion back on absolute accel/decel
performance between the models
and various common mods like chips, exhaust, euro hfm, cam gear, etc.

Stuff like the above has got to be more interesting than foglights, ERAM,
microfilters,
whose a Bubba (BOO-Buh?), parking lot dings, etc.

Grant
gwells@domain.elided
'87 E30