M3 Diff Longevity (was: Transmission failure at 7000 mi)

Michael Writes:

>BTW, I had to have my differential replaced at 9K because the
>clutches were making noise.   I suspected the mechanic didn't add
>limited-slip additive when he serviced it, but he said it was all
>pre-mixed so he didn't have to.  Someone else mentioned to me that
>E36 rear ends have a history of failing early.   Any comments?

Well, I don't know about the history but I can offer a somewhat unususal
data point.  I loaned my '96 M3 differential (14k miles at the time) to
the Massari/Muller M3 team last March at Daytona (Motorola Cup Race).
Ran for two hard hours with stock fluid and seals and brought their #72
Euro-engined M3 LTW from last place (missed qualifying) to an 8th place
finish.  After the race the diff was hot and stinky but they put it back
in my car for the ride home to Orlando.  Local dealer checked it out the
next day and found no damage.  They changed the fluid free of charge and
it's been going strong ever since (23k miles now).  No worries so far!

BTW, I told them (dealer) about the race and they were still gonna
replace it under warranty if it was bad.  They thought it was cool and
it certainly helped BMW.  They'll still replace it too if necessary, as
they give it a look see about every time I have the car in.  Some
dealers do seem to know the meaning of service!

FWIW...

Calvin Hare
Orlando, FL
'96 M3 - Daytona Tested Rear End