Re: Trying to decide between e30 M3 and 944 s2

Pat Donahue wrote:

> What we've done is get 1 318i for ITB and 2 325iss (dang hard to
> pluralize!) for ITS racing.  The ITB car, from looking at past SCCA
> records will be pretty much in the hunt in its class and the ITS cars
> should be near the front for their class.

Robert,

Everything Pat wrote is absolutely correct about SCCA racing. E30 M3s fall
into ITE and usually, but not always (ask Gary Bossert), don't do too well.
A regular 944 (non turbo) falls into ITS and is just as competitive as the
325is with a comparable driver.

But, I got the feeling you were referring to club racing (BMW Club Racing
and PCA's Club Racing). As for BMW, all models are relatively competitive
because of how the classes are broken up. The E30 M3 is very competitive
in J Stock and is the car of choice. I'd inquire with some BMW club racers
to see how they do in Prepared and Modified. Gary B. races in Mod. and does
very well, but the cars are very modified at that point. I'm not sure
what you are considering. As for P-car racing, all I know is that that
group is very competitive and they have great turnouts at their events.
Both would make good choices. One note on the 944 Turbo, forgive me bimwads,
but I think this car is one of the best buys on the market right now. Great
car, better motor. The E30 M3 is also in the same 'best buy' group though
and you can check my driveway and see which one I chose.

Hope some of this helps.

Good luck with your racing.

bubbabeebs
88 M3