Hello, Winter Cars, Parking

As this is my first post to this forum I guess I should say "hello." I'm
responding to this particular thread because it makes an interesting segue
into why I suddenly find myself the proud owner of a 1995 318is. (1
previous leaser--30K miles.) I bought the BMW because my "deep winter" (and
for the past four years "only") car, a 1967 short wheel base Series IIa
Land-Rover split a piston. Not surprising for a 30+ year old car--except
this was on 4k mile engine that was installed in June. Anyhow, while that's
being sorted out I decided that it was time to have something a little
quicker and more comfortable in my "fleet". Hence the 318. I've joined the
CCA and look forward to being an active participant here as I am on a
number of Rover lists.

To answer the question at hand, both of my cars are going to see service
this winter--the BMW shod with Hakkapeliitta NRW tires will do nicely until
the heavy stuff falls--which is when the Rover (called FINSUP after its
license tag) comes into its own. And I strongly disagree with the gentlemen
who suggested that you're better off in a BMW with snow tires than in an
SUV--unless of course you don't actually know how to drive such a vehicle.
That's okay, you can say I don't know how to drive my new 318--I can take
it! ;-) It's true that you won't want to go zipping around curves and
zooming down the highway in the "truck" (the latter being impossible in a
90hp Rover anyhow) but driven competently, I'll take the 4WD when the going
gets tough. And if you're one of those guys (generally three-four every
winter, last year two driving Quattros) who passes me at high speed--only
to have me come upon you in the ditch a little later don't worry--I'll be
happy to yank you out with my tow strap.

Forgive the "off topic" pitch, but those interested can learn a little more
about FINSUP (and me) by visiting http://www.off-road.com/OVLR/jberg/.
That'll point you to a number of photo articles about Rover rallies and
misadventures. No BMW content yet--but give it time, I've only had the (as
yet unnamed) BMW for a week now. Having a blast driving it though--trying
to get my heel and toe back and remembering what an apex is. Very different
type of UDM--and I think I'll be enrolling at Skip Barber this spring for a
refresher course.

For the record, I'm one of those guys who will park within 6" of a "two
space" car if I can do it and stay within "my" space--though I'd never ding
your door while making my point--I just climb out the back. I did watch a
*** (hmmm, that might be pretty easy to decode) owner kick--and
dent--FINSUP's door in retaliation once. I laughed at him. Didn't get to
really meet the guy though...or compliment him on his pretty car...or thank
him for adding to FINUP's character...because he jumped into his car and
drove away real fast (glad I don't buy HIS tires) when I walked up and
pulled the pick out of it's mounting bracket. (Silly man--did you really
think anyone driving such a vehicle was "all there" to begin with?)

Seriously, regardless of how many spaces are available when you park,
taking up two is being inconsiderate of the right of another to use the
second-to-the-last space--and displays (or at least seems to display) a bit
of arrogance on your part. As many here have already said, you're bringing
attention to yourself and your good fortune to own one of the finest motor
cars on the planet--whether through wealth or careful budgeting. Some
people are not going to respond to that in a positive manner. And now that
I've marked myself...

I look forward to becoming part of the family here--and making many new
friends (despite my seemingly anti-social attitude).

Regards...RoverOn!...Keep on Bimmin!(?)

jeff
==
 Jeffrey A. Berg     Purple Shark Media        Rowayton, CT
                    jeff@domain.elided
	My garden is full of papayas and mangos.
	My dance card is filled with merengues and tangos.
	Taste for the good life,
	I can see it no other way.
		--Jimmy Buffett, Lone Palm (live version)