RE:<All> Short shift

It sounds like you're referring to Ben Liaw's BL/SS kit.  Yes, we pretty
much all know that the BL/SS kit started with an M Roadster lever, but Ben
does a little more than just slap a sticker on an existing BMW part.  He
also took the time to measure the offset in shift pattern caused by using
the "wrong" part in a car and engineered a way to consistently bend the
lever to correct for that offset.  Yes, Ron Stygar has posted instructions
to do the bending yourself.  Do you have ready access to a machine shop to
make the tool necessary to properly bend the shifter?  I didn't.

Additionally, the ERK he made is a very carefully thought out and
manufactured piece of hardware.  We tend to take the expertise on this list
for granted.  We happened to be privy to the development of a pretty
sophisticated product, and when you look at the total kit, it's a long way
from just popping in a stock lever.

BTW, to figure out which lever to put in an older car, and whether it needs
manipulation to optimize it's performance, you could either get one of
everything and try all of the permutations...or you could contact Ben.

He's already done that for many older BMWs.

http://www.shortshifter.com

Marc Plante
E36 325i, 112k
Alexandria, VA

Not affiliated.  Just a satisfied customer.