Re: Trying to decide between e30 M3 and 944 s2

Robert writes:

> I'm looking at 2 options for a club race and general track car for next
> year.  Yes I am biased towards BMW and I already have and love my E36 M3.
> But I want some input with some sound reasoning on which car would truly be
> better for my intro into stock classes club racing.  Anyone know? I have
> heard some good things about the S2, and the M3 just goes without saying.
> sooooo.....  thanks for the help-
> Robbie Kollar
> Knoxville, TN

You're far enough away from me so I'll say this.  I have two friends who
just decided to to IT racing and they've just convinced me.  Remember
that IT racing is broken into classes so it's not a case of finding the
fastest car you can possibly find; you want to get a car that's doing
well within its class and build specifically for that class.

To that end, we've all eschewed the M3 as being in a class with the
_really_ big dogs.  If money were no object then _maybe_ we'd be going
for it, but we're all ..um.. funding limited.

What we've done is get 1 318i for ITB and 2 325iss (dang hard to
pluralize!) for ITS racing.  The ITB car, from looking at past SCCA
records will be pretty much in the hunt in its class and the ITS cars
should be near the front for their class.

Another _big_ consideration is the support of this digest and the
infamous Brett Anderson (shameless plug for a _fantastic_ resource).
You may or may not find that kind of support and help on a P-car list.
Parts for these cars are plentiful and plenty of folks really know their
stuff with regard to them as well.

Go to some SCCA races, pay close attention to what classes people are
running in, and see who it is you're going to be racing against.  My
friends pretty much took care of doing all that for me so I'm just
cruising along with them and I like it.  We'll be swapping parts and
helping each other out all of next year if I get my act together and get
my car into this; at the very least I'll be crewing for these guys.
You'll probably recognize their names; Mike Wendell and Rich Beebe (m.
and Beebs) from this digest as people who contribute readily.

While I'm on this subject; anybody wanna help sponsor our group
effort???
- --
Bubba Pat Donahue  CCA 125031
Vienna, VA
'91 M5 4GTFUL
'88 325is destined for ITS

Oh yeah, don't forget to vote for Kathy Lyle for Treasurer.  She's a
class act with her heart in the right place and the experience to do the
job well.  She also races an E36 M3.