Best used BMW <$10K-was Newbie questions

Rui,

You are right, it isn't a fair question! <g>  What's "best" has so much
to do with your priorities, that's it extremely difficult to make
suggestions, but having recently gone through this dilemma, I can relate
my experience. I looked at a number of E30s, E28s, E24s and even a few
E36s.

Here's my 2 cents:

If you want a quick, nimble fun car, the E30s are really hard to beat.
You can get the eta-powered ones for quite a bit less than $10K, while
the some "i" and "is" models can hit your threshold. The sport
suspensions can be a bit harsh for some, the lesser model interiors are
uninspiring (and headroom may be an issue), but all-in-all they're good
looking cars, and upgrade parts seem fairly reasonable. If I could have
more than one BMW, I'd have a 325is or 325ic for sure.

If you want value, you just can't do better than the E28s. Sure, they're
a bit boxy (although nothing like a Volvo!), but for the same cost as an
E30, you get more car, nicer interiors (in general), and the "i" and
"is" models are no slouches when it comes to performance. If I could
only own one car with a family, a 535is would be it.

If you want knock-em dead style, it's the E24. Although I know it's no
good for aerodynamics, I just love the classic BMW "shark" nose. Not as
practical as the E28, and since it shares the basic floor pan and
mechanicals of the E28, but with more weight, they're actually a bit
slower. Even though my E24 is 10 years old, I get people drooling over
it all the time. Nice later model E24s will be right at your price
point.

I can't really comment on the ///M models of these body styles, having
never owned or driven one, but I will say that I didn't consider an E30
M3 because it's a four (I just love the sound of the sixes!)

In addition, the pricing is based on what I've seen here in the SF Bay
Area. It's my opinion that due to the high percentage of younger, single
people here, the 3 series (E30 and E36) have substantial demand, while
the E28 prices are depressed. It also appears that the 6 series have
fallen out of favor a bit as well.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

- -jerry