Split Seam

Sid wrote:

My 1988 325iC convertible has a rip in the seam just to the left of
center in
the top of the backrest in the rear seat. There is about a half inch to
three
quarters of an inch gap with the foam sticking out. Three upholsters
have told
me that the leather has dried out and has shrunk and can't be sewn back
together. The leather looks in fine condition. They have suggested: (1)
adding
a strip across the whole top of the seat, (2) replacing the middle
panels, or
(3) backing the rip and filling the gap with a vinyl repair kit. Since
the
seats are in such good condition I am looking for the least obvious
solution.
I fear that matching the leather will be a problem and/or very
expensive, and
that the vinyl repair will look like a patch. Has anybody had this
experience.
Almost all E30 convertibles have this problem or will eventually.  The
UV rays have the same effect on the leather as it does on human skin,
permanently drying out the material.  No amount of leather softener will
correct the problem.  The alternatives the upholsterers gave you were
right on target with the exception that you could have the whole back of
seat reupholstered so that mismatched leather would not be a problem.

The option to put a vinyl backing to fill the gap is the least expensive
alternative and will improve the visual impact of the tear.  (Note:
This is the way most used car dealers "fix" the problem.)
Unfortunately, anything short of replacing the leather is a temporary
solution.  If you decide to replace the leather, I would suggest you get
your upholsterer to make you a leather or vinyl flap that would cover
the top of the seat to prevent this from occuring to your new leather.
Of course, frequent leather care,with something like Soffener or Hide
Food, would help as well.

Mason Child
88 325iC