Split Seam

My 1988 325iC convertible has a rip in the seam just to the left of center in
the top of the backrest in the rear seat. There is about a half inch to three
quarters of an inch gap with the foam sticking out. Three upholsters have told
me that the leather has dried out and has shrunk and can't be sewn back
together. The leather looks in fine condition. They have suggested: (1) adding
a strip across the whole top of the seat, (2) replacing the middle panels, or
(3) backing the rip and filling the gap with a vinyl repair kit. Since the
seats are in such good condition I am looking for the least obvious solution.
I fear that matching the leather will be a problem and/or very expensive, and
that the vinyl repair will look like a patch. Has anybody had this experience.

Sid