Re: E36 Door opener malfunction and a/c tesioner problems

I have a 1998 328is with almost 7000 miles.  I have had a couple of minor
problems and wonder if others have had similar experiences:

1.  The A/C belt tensioner developed a clacking/popping sound; about the
rhythm of corn popping and similar in quality to a railroad car going over
the gap in the tracks.  My local technician at Global Imports (Gainesville,
FL) changed the tesioner fluid to a higher viscosity for hotter weather
(than germany), 20W 50.  This helped for a while, but eventually, about a
thousand miles later he had to replace the tensioner and pully.  Are these
showing up as defective or might the lower viscocity oil caused bearings to
wear out in the hot Florida environment?

2.  The passenger side door lever (inside and outside, both) has become
difficult to operate.  I have to pull quite hard.  It is easier to open if I
pull on the door from the inside, or push against the door from the outside.
Locking and unclocking the door has little effect, positive or negative.  Is
this a simple adjustment problem or is this a defective lock?  I'll take it
back to the local dealer for service under warranty, but I'm curious about
how common this problem occurs in this model/year.