E30 Instruments

I know this had to be covered before, but I'm a new owner and new subscriber.
After buying my 88 325iC the tach, temperature gauge, and gas economy gauges
did not work, SI was yellow and red. I disassembled the dash. The SI batteries
were previously replaced, one was dead and one okay, so I questioned whether
they were installed correctly, so I removed the SI LED. I sprayed all the
connectors with contact cleaner and replaced the missing nut on the back of
the temperature gauge. The temperature gauge works 90% of the time, the tach
about 75% of the time and the gas economy not at all. Since the tach works
most of the time, I can't believe that it is related to the SI batteries. If
the tach works it continues to work until the ignition is turned off, if it
does not work it rarely starts to work until the next trip.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sid