88 M6 vs 91 or 92 M5

Hey all,

I would like to solicit the advice of all of you who are interested and
have had experiences or knowledge regarding the following.

I have been a BMW finatic since... well for a really long time, and I am
(finally) considering getting an 87 or 88 M6 or a 91 or 92 M5.
Originally, I wanted an E36 M3, but the price is prohibitive (to say the
least).  So, I am going with one of the others because of the price
break.  Can any of you write about the maintenance experiences you've
had with either the M5 or M6, with particular emphasis on the annual
maintenance expense.  Currently, I am leaning towards the M5 due to the
fact that it is newer and is said to have had very few complaints.
Also, please discuss performance tuning experiences as well.

- -Keithan