Re: <E34> instrument cluster removal BA

>Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:44:15 -0800 (PST)
>From: Andy Peavy <apeavy@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E34> instrument cluster removal
>
>Help.
>
>I have a bulb out in the instrument cluster.  Does anybody know off
>the top of their head if you have to remove the steering wheel to get
>the cluster out?
>
>The Bentley manual says yes, but I don't want to mess with the airbag.
> I'm hoping I can adjust the steering wheel out all the way and get it
>out, but before I try...
>
>Andy Peavy
>91 535i

It is possible to remove the cluster without removing the wheel IF : you
have telescopic steering AND you are VERY VERY careful.

Disengage the cluster from the dash, including the wiring, with the
steering wheel pulled as far from the dash as possible, turn your left
turn signal on, so the lever is down, place the cluster in the largest
opening in the steering wheel and turn the wheel left. As you turn the
wheel, you will be able to feed the cluster out of the left side of the
dash.

Two things to be aware of.
1: It is very easy to break off the trip and check control buttons
2: It is very easy to scratch the clear lense of the instrument cluster.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you