RE: <E36> Sharking a 328is OBDII Question?

> Well, I guess I should be directing this toward JimC but...
> From what I've been hearing and reading, in order to get my 96 328is
> sharked (JimC chipped), I'm gonna have to rip out the entire ECU and
> send it in somewhere to be reprogrammed (leaving my baby inoperable
for
> a few days).  My question is, is there any place in the NJ area where
> could just drive into a shop and have them plug in my car and
reprogram
> it without having to put my car out of commission for a few days?
Also,
> since I'm still under warranty, and besides the "having the dealer
> update and futzing up my sharked chip" potential problem, is the
dealer
> going to know that my car is sharked and if so, are they gonna void my

> entire warranty?
>
> Sorry for so many questions, but one last thing...
>
> If this process is a basic plug into your car's diagnostic port thing,

> is someone working on a plug/interface to hook up to a laptop running
> some sorta JimC software where you can just DIY at home deal, making
any
> adjustments/flash updates or switch backs to stock very quick and
painless?

> TIA
>
> --Mike

They cannot void your entire warranty - they can only deny claims on
parts
failing BECAUSE OF THE AFTERMARKET PART. 18" wheels cannot cause a water
pump
failure, but perhaps a wheel bearing.   And aftermarket software cannot
affect
non-engine component warranty.

Check out the 'some sorta JimC software' at:
 http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com/dmeedit.html
I don't know anything more than you read there ...

 - thi v.