Re: M535vs 535is. and M5

GGray,    My understanding was that a 'M'535i was the S38(M88) engine in the E28
chassis for the euro market only and started prod. in '85????  This was the
precursor to the M5 a few years later?  There were euro E28 that had 10:1 CR and
different DME to give the 218bhp?  But, these weren't the quad valve engines and
were not labled M535i.

Clarify?

Thanks,
Russ