M535vs 535is. and M5

I would say go with the US 535is, this is the Euro M535's US brother. My
friend has a Euro M535 and I have a 87 535is. With the euro car you get the
small bumbers and body kit, personally I  don't care for the euro M535 body
kit it looks to tacked on.

Depending on who federalized the car you also might run into some smog and
saftey problems in the future. My friend found that his car had been
federalized by putting a US 535 DME unit and US cat/exhaust, his car ran bad
and he had numerous problems with it until he found the proper Euro DME for
it.

With the US car you don't have any parts problems, and performance increases
are fairly easy, you can't buy chips for the Euro cars at least my friend
couldn't find one, you can buy several makes for the US car. Also if you are
planning on letting your daughter drive it the added saftey of the US cars
door's and Bumpers might be nice.

As far as an M5 goes it is nothing like a 535is or M535. It is MUCH faster and
more expensive to maintain.

GGray
87 535is turbo
88 M3 race car