<E36> Posts on rear headrests and map lights

Hi all,

First of all, thank you for your replies concerning my question about
rear headrests and the map reading lights.

Well, here's the deal so far.

1: I went to the dealer to check out parts #, prices, etc. and found out
that all you need to install the headrests are 2 headrests, 4 spring
clips, 4 plastic hole caps, and 4 rods. Installation is relatively easy,
and I'll post that as soon as I have it done. I've also copied and
pasted instructions from I.L. Eberhart's post from March of 1998 about
instructions.

2. Prices. Well, the dealer says $109 for each headrest, plus $7.50 for
head rod, and $2 bucks for the each of the rest things. Total, about
$250. I'm checking on getting used headrests (salvage yards, etc.). I'm
not too anal about getting *new* headrests, and so long as the used ones
are in good condition, then I'm happy. The part #'s I was given were: 52
208 188 557 for the headrests, 52 208 190 350 for the clips, and 52 201
977 897 + 898 for the rods. Now, of course there are left/right versions
and I only have part # for the rods that way. The parts dept. were nice
enough to show me the diagrams for them too, so it's not very complex at
all. More info to come of course.....

3. Map lights. Dealer says there's no difference between 328 and 325
(meaning old versus new lights). I don't believe them. I got this part #
out of them though: 63 318 361 623 + 624  or 63 318 373 875 + 876 (which
is the 325 I believe since he crossed them out when I asked about the
328). I'm going back to check out the dealers lot and hopefully pry out
a light to see the insides. :-)  So far, not as lucky on this dept. as
on the headrests. But the good news is that they're $17.50 for each side
from the dealer. I'll keep you posted on the map lights situation as
well.....

Copied instructions:
>1. Remove the side bolsters, they just bull out from the top.
>2. Remove the side pillar covers (where the rear reading lights are
>located), you'll have to pull back some of the door seal to get them off.
>3. If you have fold down seats, fold them down and remove the black strip
>that mates the rear shelf to the cross bar. Jason's seats don't fold down
>and we assume they'll need to be removed (should just pull out).
>4. Remove the rear parcel shelf.
>On the underside of the shelf, you'll see the markings for 4 holes. The
>biggest drill bit I could use was a 3/8" bit and I still had to file quite a
>bit off with an air tool to completely remove the centers.
>5. Don't remove too much or you'll be sorry (ask me how I know), then you'll
>have to use a glue gun to attach the plastic gaskets.
>6. The retainer springs go around the outside of the now exposed supports in
>the rear crossmember.
>7. Place the posts into the headrest, you'll figure out which goes on which
>side.
>8. Refit the shelf and other parts.
>9. Attach the plastic gaskets.
>10. The headrest may look the same, but there is actually a left and right.
>If you install them on the wrong sides, you'll notice it when you look in
>your rearview mirror.
>11. Insert the headrests posts into the guides. (DONE)
>NOTE - These instructions are NOT the complete procedure, but enough to get
>the job done, and a LOT more than supplied with the kit. Complete procedure
>comming soon.

Hope this helps. And again, thank you for those who were kind enough to
reply to me.

:)Regards
- -Chris Graff

Middletown, New Jersey