Re: Driver's School Braking Questions

> From: Jim Ochi <jochi@domain.elided>
>
> Steven Schlossman <steven@domain.elided> wrote:
>
> >My biggest concern at this time is braking and acceleration.
[snip]
> I'm nowhere near the level of Duane or many of the others on this list, but
> in addition to Duane's advice, I would add:
>
> - - Seat time, seat time, seat time.  Like any other skill, this is not
> something that you'll learn in a single school.  It takes time and practice.

Agreed.  There is so much you have to learn in the beginning that it
kind of overwhelms you.  I found that if I concentrate on one thing each
lap, eventually they all come together.
One lap might be turn in points, one might be brake points, one might be
exit speed.  All of these are needed for a smooth lap, but it takes a
while to get a smooth lap.  Then you get to worry about a smooth
session, smooth day, smooth event... :)

At my first school, (I've only been to two) my instructor made me stay
in 3rd gear the entire first session.  Even though I knew how to
heel-toe downshift, he said he didn't want me to even think about what
gear I was in.  Although it was a very slow session, I learned a lot.
It did help me to concentrate on the line, brake points, and turn in
points.  The next session, I was allowed to shift, and it was much less
smooth.

///Michael
88 M3