BMW M3 EVO vs. US M3 -- and -- an Oil Pan/Pump alternative?

RSW01@domain.elided wrote:
<snip>
> So i think i need some mandatory BMW content, so...
>
> in the past some members have asked what's the difference between the Euro M3
> and why isn't it in the US?

Yes, thanks for posting this...

> 1996 M3 EVOLUTION:
> on the EVO model they increased displacement form 2990cc to 3201cc
> pistons made lighter
> con-rods graphite coated
> inlet valves enlarged
> compression raised from 10.8 to 11.3:1
> second oil pump added
> VANOS incorporated onto the exhaust cam as well (previosuly only on the inlet
> cam)
> (European M3 gets continuously variable valve timing. US gets 2 points of
> adjustment)
> 321hp @ 7400rpm
> 258 lb-ft @ 3250 rpm

Now it comes together.  The US engine is limited at the top end by its small inlet
valves that were designed for 2.5L.  The Euro engine has an extra 0.05L of
displacement combined with larger inlet valves that let you take advantage of the
extra 0.7L of displacement at the top end.  The other changes add a bit more
efficiency and probably allow the higher redline (which has big effect on peak HP).
Thus, somewhat higher peak torque, but much higher peak HP.

The one other thing that caught my attention was the "second oil pump added".
Is that the same as is offered with the LTW Oil Pan?  Or is it different?
In particular, can we install the Euro oil pumps into the US engine without
fear of invalidating our warranties??

Thanks,

Brian
98 M3/4