Driver's School Braking Questions

I'm looking over my student reviews from this past year's driving schools.
I'm fairly happy with my progress considering this was my first year.
Some ratings went up slightly, some went down from school to school.

I know I am not consistent, which is evident from my scores. <g>
I need to work the line better. Walking the track really enlightened me.
I'm ready for next year.

One weak point my understanding of the physics of the car. That's something
that will come in time. It's taking me awhile to grasp loading but it is
getting clearer.

Shifting will come with practice too.

My biggest concern at this time is braking and acceleration.

                                                            score
Braking  smooth application                                 1 - 2 [out of 5]
         brakes hard over short distance                    1 - 2
         completes braking before turn unless trail braking   2

Acceleration smooth, correctly timed application inturns    1 - 2
             amount appropriate for track condition           2

1 - needs a lot of work  2 - needs more work

FWIW - Skid pad I'm doing OK.

I feel my ABS [on my 98 318ti] kick in too quickly to allow be to stop
smoothly. Acceleration is slow since I'm usually in the wrong gear.

What can I focus on in my daily driving so I can be more aware of braking
and acceleration? Would an instructor [ Greg? ;) ] who has my car as their
daily driver be better suited for me?

Or am I just being too hard on myself.
Afterall, my total track time is probably 4 hours.
I only had one off track excursion and I'm still on stock tires.

It's gonna be a long winter before the next driving school. :(

..steven

mailto:steven@domain.elided    http://www.happytogether.com/bmw/service
Germantown, MD                     Service comments
1998 318ti Arrest Me Red Sport 'FUN2DRV'
w/ open air roof, paint chips on the hood