<E36/All> Engine swapping

Hey all,

I've read in various publications about all the nifty cars that have had
their engines swapped (including a few here), but am kinda perplexed as to
where to begin such an endeavor or how much it would cost.

At this point, I'd like to explore the option of dropping a M50TU 325i six
into my '92 318is.  Recently, frustrating times with the *dog* of an M42
four are compelling me to ditch it entirely and get a *real* engine, as
opposed to spending tens of thousands on a new bimmer.

My needs are modest, and I hope to keep costs that way too.  That's why I
would be content with a regular M50 instead of an S50 (which I'm assuming
would require replacement of more drivetrain parts than the M50).

I'd appreciate hearing about experiences from anyone who has done this, or
pointers to places that could do this (I'm in CA), so I can determine
whether this is really a viable option.

Thanks
Herman
92 318is