Re: Reverse Mirror Adjustment on 98 540i

RC Leander writes:

> I recently purchased a 98 540 6 speed, and traded in my 94 540.
> On the 94, when I placed the car in
> reverse the outside right mirror powered down just enough to see the curb,
> it seemed to line up perfectly.  On the new car, when it powers down, it
> powers all the way down, so that I'm looking down at the ground about 2 feet
> behind the mirror.  Can find no mention of adjustment in the owners manual.
> Anybody else have this problem, or this is one just aligned poorly?  Helpful
> hints while I wait on a service date appreciated.

Been there in regards to trying to find if there is an adjustment that
you an make. I felt mine went down a bit tto far, but not nearly as far
as yours.  BMW says "there is no adjustment that you can make - it goes
to a preset position".

BUT

That position is supposed to be the curb at the back wheel - not the
ground beside the door.

Soooooo - you have to tell them that it is "obviously defective compared
to other cars" and ask that it be corrected.

It is either a defective mechanical alignment of the mirror, or a glitch
in the sopftware that can be corrected with a software dagnostic and
reload.

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada