Re: E30 wheel bearings

>> All E30 bearings get replaced between 100-160K miles.
>> This is something to keep in mind when shopping for a used E30 in
>>that milage range - how many new wheel bearings does it have? At $200/per
>>bearing, you are looking at $800 outlay. This is really not a DIY job
since
>>you need a $300+ in tools alone to do it.

>I thought the E30's were very similar to the E28's.  Why are the bearings
>so much more (my front w/ABS cost me $75 from a friend, probably around
>$100 otherwise) than the E28's. What tool do you need other than a puller
>($50)?

Actually the rear bearing can be replaced and cost about $40 per bearing.
Fronts cost about $100 because these aren't just bearing but include that
plate (don't know how it's called in english, but anyway it's an integrated
part). Both dealer-prices. Replacing rear-bearing requires only a
pulling/pushing tool. In most
cases this is the case when replacing front bearings, but sometimes the
inner bearing of that whole thing stucks to your axe, letting you remove all
but that, and since you can't re-use any of this stuff, you just have to get
this inner-bearing off, and most of the time this requires removing of the
side-panel. And lots of time...

MaZe ( thezeeuw@domain.elided )
'86 320i 267kKm