<E34> 3.5 engine miss problem

Help.

I have a 91 535i that will sometimes exhibit a "miss".  It will only
happen when cruising along at a steady speed with the throttle
position "just off idle".  I haven't felt the problem below 1800 RPM
or above 3000 RPM.  Sometimes, it seems a bump to the rear wheels will
trigger it.

It will miss or hesitate, and if I don't adjust throttle position it
will miss again approx. 2 seconds later.  If I back the throttle down
to idle or give it any more throttle, it won't miss again and I cannot
make it happen again.  It will usually happen once every other month.

This happened earlier in the car's life and I took it to the dealer
for warranty repair.  They said that the RPM Reference Sensor was
loose.  Anybody know what/where that is?  The only thing that I can
find is the crankshaft position sensor on the front of the engine.
The Bentley manual seems to indicate the crankshaft position sensor is
only used for starting.  It is torqued to the proper specification and
I cleaned it off, but since I cannot duplicate the symptoms and the
miss has happened since then, I don't think that is the problem.

Any help or ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Andy Peavy
91 535i