<E30> Camber Plates

>Do camber plates add to the ride height?  I am planning some
>suspension upgrades for my E30, and I need to figure out which
>springs to use.  I will probably get adjustable camber plates
>for the back (they aren't really plates in the back, I thought),
>and I might install adjustable camber plates in the front at s
>ome later date.  I want to reduce the negative camber (at least
>in the back) while driving on the street, but then add it back
>when autocrossing.
>- ---
>Rob Clark  (Rob_Clark@domain.elided)
>San Diego
>BMWCCA 156543
>87 325is

Rob,

Camber plates are only applicable to "strut" suspensions.  Since the rear of
the M3 uses semi-trailing arms, there is no opportunity to employ camber
plates at that end.  You can, however, use camber plates on the front of an
E30.  The K-Mac units from TMS are a nice streetable choice ($225).  They
will raise your car about 1/16" in the front.  Nothing to worry about.
However, these units do not lend themselves to quick and easy adjustments.
They fall into the "set 'em and leave 'em" category.

For the rear, you must use offset trailing arm bushings to adjust the
camber.  Unfortunately, your rear toe settings go along for the ride.  It is
difficult to adjust one without affecting the other on a trailing arm setup.
Unless you go for a full custom rear subframe, preferably one using shims
for separate adjustment of camber and toe.  I hope to do this one day on my
88 m3.  TMS also sells Poly offset trailing arm bushings made by K-Mac.  I
have not tried them.

Hope this helps,

Gustave Stroes
Redondo Bch, CA