Re: RD?

Matt6481@domain.elided wrote:

> Alright, I know this one has probably been answered (and maybe even disagreed
> about) before, but what's the story with Racing Dynamics vs. RD Sport? Who's
> Who, and why? And whose stuff do I actually want?
> RD Sport claims to be adivision of Racing Dynamics, but Racing Dynamics says
> that they have no association with RD Sport.... AARGH!

Here's an over-simplified view:  In the beginning, there was Racing Dynamics of
Italy.  They make good stuff.  They set up an agreement with Electrodyne to market
Racing Dynamics products in the US.  And Electrodyne got rights to the Racing
Dynamics trademark in the US.  Over time, Electrodyne started selling their own
products as Racing Dynamics.  Due to inferior quality, control, politics, or
whatever, Racing Dynamics of Italy found this objectionable and terminated its
relationship.  But they owned the name.  So, Racing Dynamics of Italy then set up
RDSport in the US to market their products.

So, RDSport is a division of (or distributor of) Racing Dynamics of Italy -- but
unassociated with the Racing Dynamics of the US -- other than having confusing
names.  The two US companies bitterly despise each other -- and are certainly aware
of each other -- it strikes me odd that they left you to wonder -- something to
think about...

Why did I say "over-simplified"?  There was a past thread on this digest where they
(major players at each company) argued back and forth.  Racing Dynamics of the US
even asserted that they had once manufactured parts for Racing Dynamics of Italy.
The whole thread just added more confusion -- almost surely one or both were lying
- -- or their stories were just incomprehensible.

Anyway, after that, I am personally uncomfortable buying anything from either one.
But numerous digesters do recommend RDSport parts.

Hope that helps,

Brian