Re:<e28> 87 528e problems with oxygen sensor

Shawn,

Your Engine management system was designed to use the heated 3 wire
sensor. A single wire sensor won't get hot enough on its own to send the
correct signal consistantly. I installed a Bosch 3 wire sensor from
Grand Auto ($41) in my '88 535i to cure the problems you are
experiencing. I believe the application was for a '90 mustang 305 V8.
Just splice the wires from the old harness to the new sensor, making
sure you get the signal wire right. The other  2 wires(heat circuit) are
interchangeable. Don't forget to apply your choice of weatherproofing on
the splice to ensure an unimpeded signal.

Erick Baumeister
'88 535iA Dinanized, Baumeisterized, etc.