RE: E30 - 100W H1 bulbs **Rob

Alex ( alexchia@domain.elided ) wrote:

>Subject: E30 - 100W H1 bulbs
>
>I've just replaced the puny original 55W H1 bulbs on my 1988 E30 with 100W
H1s (on the dipped beams). Much better illumination. Do I have to upgrade
any of the fuses to account for the higher wattage bulbs? It's worked fine
over the last couple of days. Any other related issues that I have to be
aware of?

        Isn't adequate lightining wonderful?  My experience with high
wattage bulbs on my '85 E28 535i using 85W/100W H4 (low) and 100W H1 (high)
is very similar to yours.  I learned a few things...

    The stock wiring on an E28 (and the E30 is of similar construction) is
more than sufficient for this level of power - it's been at least a year and
no problems.  HOWEVER - the wires, even thought hey have plenty of "reserve
capacity" for a high load, are running at the upper level of what the stock
fuses are designed for.  The stock fuses for low and high eams on my car are
8amp fuses.  They would last about six hours befor curling up (these are the
old-style ceramic fuses with an exposed metal wire).  I replaced them with
16amp fuses and they are fine.  The E30 has newer-style enclosed plastic
body fuses that may last longer, but an upgrade couldn't hurt so you don't
get a surprise blown fuse.

- - Rob Levinson
'85 535i Turbo
'86 535i