gas shock cartidges: add oil or no oil?

Hello all.  I have heard a bunch of differering opinions about this.  I
am swapping out the stock hydraulic cartridges out of my E30's front
struts for Boge Turbogas shocks (rear will follow shortly, the
anticipation is *killing* me).

Should I add oil into the strut tube before sliding the shocks in?
Haynes manual says no when you use gas shocks, Bentley manual says
absolutely no, but a roundel article a few months back (issue with the 7
series and the rolls hoods on the cover) involving tokico gas shock
suspension upgrades on a 325is says that it's ok.

I'd really love to know before installing these suckers back on the car.
Thanks in advance.

Tony
'84 318i currently awaiting new suspension, as well as remachined
cylinder head- all to be installed THIS WEEKEND.  ugh!