Re: Smooth Driving?

>---rsalzmann@domain.elided wrote:
>My question is this:  What comprises "smooth driving"?  OK, not hard
>to imagine, but can we put it in words that describe what is involved
>technically, physically and mentally?
>
>I will probably begin participating in driver schools soon, and from
>what I've read, I will learn plenty.  But, is this the same as
>developing the driving ability for smoothness, for say, passenger
>comfort & enjoyment?
>
>      Robb Salzmann
>      86 635CSi
>      BMWCCA 161249

Robb,

After you attend your first school, you will get a better idea of what
smooth is.  First of all, if you are smooth in your inputs to the
car's controls, your car will respond in a smooth matter.  This
enables you to approach the car's handling limits.

It could be directly related to passenger comfort.  As one classroom
instructor once said to our group, "The idea is not to be able to
average 60 mph around some corners, it is the ability to go 60 mph
around a corner with your grandmother in the car and her not sensing
you are going that fast."

If you are not smooth on a track, you will have slower lap times.  You
have to learn to go slow first before you go fast.  Don't worry, the
speed will come with experience.

Also, during your driver's school, you will have the opportunity to
ride in an instructors car during their session.  You will quickly
find an appreciation for what smooth driving is.

Everybody who takes a driving school probably can pick more than one
instructor that stands out in their driving ability.  In my case, here
in the Rocky Mountain Chapter, Gordon Haines and Rob Coe are two of
the smoothest and consistent drivers that I have ridden with.

You will enjoy your driver's school.  It is addictive.

Andy Peavy
91 535i
email: apeavy@domain.elided