Smooth Driving?

     Greetings all,

     In this month's Roundel, (it's on my nightstand and I'm at the office,
     so I'll be a bit vague)there's an article which mentions a gentleman
     who dives a Porsche, and the writer comments that this driver is one
     of the smoothest drivers he has ridden with.

     My question is this:  What comprises "smooth driving"?  OK, not hard
     to imagine, but can we put it in words that describe what is involved
     technically, physically and mentally?

     I will probably begin participating in driver schools soon, and from
     what I've read, I will learn plenty.  But, is this the same as
     developing the driving ability for smoothness, for say, passenger
     comfort & enjoyment?

     I hope I'm not too far off topice here.  One of the reasons I like
     driving my BMW, is the extension of my driving I feel with the car;
     more so than many other makes.  I would like to take my driving to the
     next level not only in spirited driving, but also in a "piloting"
     sense (smooth driving).

     robb

     Robb Salzmann
     86 635CSi