left lane dwellers-WOB

While cruising in the commuter lane (it was about 430 PM and I was
alone-GASP!) up highway 280 (silicon valley), in my 1997 Crown Victoria, I
rolled up on what appeared to be a self proclaimed highway patrolman who
was holding up traffic in the fast lane.

I was slightly irked that this "citizen of the year" had taken it upon
himself to keep everyone "safe" by imposing his own 55 MPH speed on highway
280.  Well needless to say, I heard a hundred Bimmer digest voices cursing
me as I non-chalantly began to pass this joker.  Suddenly I was overcome
with guilt and decided to have a roadside chat with our hero.

I contacted him and asked why he was driving so slowly in the fast lane.
After about ten seconds of stuttering, "uhhhs" and "ummms" I politely
explained that the left lane was for faster traffic.  If he wanted to drive
at the speed limit or less that he needs to occupy the right hand lanes.
He stuttered a few more times and started to say, "but I-" .  I said "but
nothing", let other drivers who want to go faster than you take their own
chances.  Then I told him he was going to cause an accident by pissing
someone off and if he wanted to argue the point I would send him back to
the DMV for a brand-spanking-new driver re-exam.

He hung his head and sheepishly said,"sorry".  I left him with that thought.

****this moment of common sense brought to you courtesy of John***

End of bmw-digest V9 #441