<E36>REPLY-Repair of Window Switches

Kwok wrote:

On my 1993 318is, both power window switches have burnt out(not
illuminated anymore, but still operate the windows).  Isthis a common
problem with these switches?  Where can I find cheapreplacements for
these
switches, or even better, can I just replace the bulbs inthese
switches to
save me money?  Also, my 318is did not come with theone-touch
roll-down or
roll-up feature (at least I don't believe so, pleaseverify), is it
possible to "add" this feature by buying a different typeof power window
switch?  Thanks in advance for all your help!Kwok

================================

Interesting, I _think_ all US 318's come with one touch up and down on
the drivers windows, 318is's one touch up and down on drivers AND
passengers.  Regardless, if you dont have it, its more than just
adding a different switch.  Dont know how much more, just know
something else needs to be replaced.  Im sure someone else can provide
more input.
Regarding the burned out bulbs, yes, you can fix it.  I've replaced
the bulbs on both of my window switches and my sunroof switch.
Hopefully, you have a stick shift.  If so, squeeze the sides of the
shift lever boot, and the boot coover should lift up, allowing you to
pop up each switch with your finger. (If you have an auto, a tiny
screwdriver can be used to CAREFULLY pry up the switch and pop it
out).  Now unplug the switch, and take it in the house.  Using a tiny
flathead screwdriver(jewelers screwdrivers work great), carefully pry
off the top cover portion of the switch.  Do one at at time, so you
can use the other as a reference point during re-assembly.  You should
see an orange lightbulb, soldered to the switch.  Cut off the bulb at
the "legs", and re-solder a new bulb.  Radio Shack carries clear 12v
bulbs that will fit in there, but I dont know the exact part number.
If you re-assemble at this point, you wont have the nice orange-ish
BMW illumination.  I solved this problem by cutting the red VDO Guage
Bulb "condoms" into small sections, and laying a section over the
bulb, and re-assembling the switch.  If the entire bulb is covered,
your end result will be illumination thats slightly more reddish than
it was before, but still orange.  If you are really anal, you can
experiment by cutting tiny slits in the VDO condom, in order to allow
some white light out to reduce the redness.  Alternately, you can
leave the VDO condom section intact without slits, and replace all the
bulbs in all the window switches so they all match each other.
  But first, price the cost of the switches.  Depending on the year,
some of the prices are rather reasonable (under$20.00 each?), if I
recall.  Then again, my memory aint that great.  But it doesnt hurt to
check prices first.

Ron Browne
1992 318is (Switch lights blend in well with the VDO guages, Hazard
siwtch, and the lighted shift knob).
Bowie, MD

PS..the above procedure worked for me and my switches, internal switch
design may vary from model to model, year to year.