RE: OUTDOOR WINTER STORAGE

> I'm going to be storing my 325e outside for the winter, It's cold and
> lot's of snow. Any suggestions? Jack up the car, special treatment for
>the engine etc.
> Thanks,
> Henry
> 84' 325e >>

I own a boat that I put up every year.  For the engine, it is VERY important
to get the old oil out before you store it.  I just change mine before I put
it up.  The used oil has an acidic compound in it that will eat away at the
bearings if left uncirculated for a long period of time.  Many recommend
changing the oil again in the spring, but I usually do not.  As far as putting
oil in the cylinders, I recommend going to a marine store (Like Boater' s
World) and getting something called "engine fog".  There are many brands.
This stuff is specifically made to coat the cylinders and valves to prevent
corrosion.  You can apply it in one of 2 ways:  1.  Remove the plugs and spray
it into each cylinder.  2.  If you have a carb (you don't), you can secure the
fuel supply and spray it down the throat until the bowls of the carb are dry
and the engine stalls.  This also coats the intake.  You also can spray
anything you think may rust with something called "Boeshield".  It is a
product that has a wax in it and is made for this purpose.  (also found at
boater's world)  Most boaters spray all of the steel parts of the engine
(painted surfaces).  As for the gas, fill the tank to prevent condensation in
the tank and stabilize it as recommended above.  Obviously, check to make sure
your antifreeze is good to the temps you expect (with a hydrometer).   The
above has been working on my boat's V8 for several years and should work for
you.

Gregg