Obtaining Service Records

     Does anyone have experience obtaining service records for used BMWs?

     When I took a car in to my local dealer for a used car inspection,
     they told me that they could look at the records,  but they couldn't
     give them to me since they are the property of the previous owners-
     and in any case "they are just a bunch of numeric codes I wouldn't be
     able to decipher".

     I called BMWNA customer service, and they pretty much confirmed that
     it is up to each dealer how much information they want to share and
     how easy they want to make it for you.

     Does anyone know differently, or have any creative ways around the
     system?

     TIA,
     Jeff Sailors
     '95 540i