Re: Passing at driver's schools

I believe you mis-clipped my post in your response.  Sounds like you were
responding to my nudging comment.  Which was a very obvious joke.  We all know
that such behavior is not tolerated in any form of road racing.  And certainly
not at a driver's school.  Even the circle trackers get uptight in the higher
divisions.  Lighten up a little!

As for don't track it if you can't bend it, you all should consider this
seriously.  I've never seen metal-to-metal contact at a DE.  All the accidents
are single car.  From simple spins, to cars off into the weeds, into trees, and
into barriers.  Happens in all run groups.  DEs are not replacements for
getting your driver's license.  Nor is it a leisurely sunday drive in the
country.  They take place on race tracks and the speeds can be quite high.  At
a Road America DE, I hit 135 in a stock RS America.  If a tire let go, what are
the odds that the car would be undamaged?  Would you want to gamble on wrecking
a car that you couldn't really afford to?

I hate to see anyone damaging their baby.  Most of us car nuts take pride in
our cars and want to drive them as best we can.  That's why we buy the cars we
do and then head to the race track for instruction.  So think about what you're
doing and consider all the consequences.  DEs are not races and the only reward
you'll get is that you leave a better driver, your car is in the same condition
as when you arrived, and you've had a good time with new friends and old.

As for you Mr. Bauman, I hope your actions on the track are not as knee jerk or
poorly thought out as your response.  Relax.

Ted

>A mere suggestion: if you can't write it off, don't put it on the track!
>
>Ted
>Chicago-nomex on!

Huh?!?! It's a driver's school we're talking about here, not F1. The
purpose is learn how to safely drive your car at speed, not endanger your
life and those around you.

The only reason the CCA is able to insure the events is because the
insurance company looks at it as a single car on the track at a time - in
no way should anyone interfere with the actions of another.

I hope I'm never on a track with you. It sounds like a good thing you've
nomex on if you drive like you write.

- --
Ted Arneson