Re: Re: SF Bay seller beware - Dinan

Chris writes publicly,

Snip,

> Let's see who has a Dinan badge so far:
>
> 1) someone who is happy with an "engineering change" Dinan does that breaks 7
> times - but heyee he's happy...

So Chris, you decided to completely ignore my earlier post on why the sway bar mounts
broke and how they got fixed.  They were fixed multiple times for FREE, and others
because of the way the car is used.  I'll go one last time on this and thats it!  You
can have as many last words as you like, publicly or otherwise if you choose to ignore
this one also.    So, it's common knowledge that under heavy use, the stock SB mounts
are inadequate on the E28s.  I have talked to others how have had this same problem.  I
use the car for auto-xing and track use.  For the street I use Yoko A032Rs, these tires
are minimum DOT street legal and are as near to street slicks as you get get.  Since I
use the car under extreme conditions, I expect things to break from time to time.  This
includes suspension and drivetrain parts.  Yes, the rear SB mounts have broken under
these conditions.  Multiple times fixed for FREE by Dinan with their Stg. IV suspension
installed while still under the factory warranty.  Then after the factory warranty was
up, I paid Dinan to have the mounts re-welded.  Again, I'm hard on the car.  How hard do
you use yours?  I bet not like I do!  The actaul failure mode is that the undercarrige
sheet metal that the  mounts are anchored to rips away.  Dinans last repair, in which
only the labor was charged,  went to a different mounting scheme with a large welded
plate and bolted  mounts.  This has worked much better and I havent had any problems
since(~1.5 years).   This may break again, but whos to say.  Again, this is 10 year old
car now with 140k miles of hard use at auto-xs, tracks and on the street.

The main point is that Dinan has made a good effort to fix the problem.  Did they do it
perfect the first time.  NO they didn't!!!  But they have worked with me to maintain the
car in the formum  I use it in and within the budget I have.   I don't expect the car in
the way I use it not to break. It's not a race car but I pratically use it that way.
It's obvious that your expectations and mine are different on whats expected in the way
we operate our vehicles.  Fine.  Im not sure why the above statement was made,
especially with the past post both public and private on this matter.

Thats my take,

Russ