 >Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 09:38:36 -0700
 >From: "Larry Simmons" <lsimmons@domain.elided>
 >Subject: Accident in 540i 6 spd update - Also SF Bay Buyers Beware
 [full text not reposted here, Larry described a car purchased from an
 independent car dealer which had been improperly repaired after one or
 more accidents]

 ... and you Dinan bashers out there probably won't like this, but Steve
 Dinan once told us of searching for a used Bimmer for his daughter.
 Nearly all of the cars he saw at independent dealers had been in
 accidents and had major repairs, and finding evidence of the accidents
 was not difficult (not to Steve, anyway).  In a couple of the cars he
 found the DMV salvage title documents, which the dealers had failed to
 remove.  I'm sure this happens others places besides the S.F. Bay Area.

 Many cars can be properly repaired after an accident, in which case the
 evidence of the damage and the repair would be a lot less obvious.  This
 just stresses the need for a pre-purchase inspection by a competent
 shop that you trust.  Good advice, Larry.

 Scott Miller
 Golden Gate Chapter
 BMW CCA #44977 >>

Scott,

I don't think anyone feels Dinan isn't a pretty good machanic (Albeit not as
good as he is a business man) But REALLY,  do you think it's that hard to tell
if a cars been "tilted"

Like I said before,  if I ever see a car with a Dinan "badge" on it I'll just
figure the guy doesn't know that much about cars - no reason to change my
opinion yet.

Let's see who has a Dinan badge so far:

1) someone who is happy with an "engineering change" Dinan does that breaks 7
times - but heyee he's happy...

2) Someone who is impressed with the engineering acumen of Dinan when it's
reveled to him that Steve found old papers in the trunk of a BMW he was
looking at for his daughter.

What all this tells me is Dinan is one heck of a salesman...

Christopher