Re: Passing at Driver's Schools

>  Ummm... actually, at driver schools, passing should be done on whatever
>  side has been designated by that particular club as the passing side for
>  that weekend.  This may or may not be the side that allows the passee to
>  stay on the normal line.  Some BMW CCA chapters run their schools with
>  passing only on the right; some with passing only on the left -- all with
>  passing only after getting a "point by" from the driver being overtaken.
>  None of the BMW CCA schools should allow passing on both sides during a
>  particular school weekend.

At every school I've been to (CCA & PCA), the person being passed stays on-
line, the idea being that the passer is potentially the better driver and/or
in the faster car, is being held up, and is more able to go off line at that
speed.  The person being passed is presumably driving at their comfort level
limit, and should not then try to go off line.  The assumption may not always
true, but the method seems to work well.

>  The overtaking car has the responsibility to do
>  the passing safely; the overtaken car has the responsibility to allow a
>  safe pass (i.e. don't do anything unexpected or stupid that will cause an
>  incident, at least back off the throttle a little to allow the pass, and
>  watch your mirrors).

When you are being passed, there is one important caveat to lifting off of the
throttle:  DO IT ONLY WHEN THE PASSER HAS PULLED OVER TO PASS YOU.  Common
sense you say?  I've seen people actually hit the brakes to facilitate a pass
while the overtaking car is still behind them.  Wait until the car has
initiated the pass and is in no danger of rear ending you, and then take your
foot out of the gas.

>  Here's the typical pass senario I see time and time again.  Lead car goes
>  'round the corner, driver straightens out the car, grabs his upshift and
>  THEN throws his hand out the window fer the big ole pass wave after he's
>  nice and comfortable wallowing up the straight.  Now, this works fine in
>  theory except for one itty-bitty problem.  The lead car is now more than
>  halfway to the next turn and the passing car has to really boogie to get
>  around.

True.  Another scenario is that someone does a a lap or more trying to hold
you off, presumably thinking you're both having fun.  They end up driving
their mirrors (bad), and frustrating the person behind them (also bad).

>  you as the passer
>  should make the pass as easy as possible.  I cannot count the number of
>  times that Joe Hotshoe zooms up on a slower car and rides his ass until
>  he gets to the passing zone and then has to huff-n-puff trying to edge
>  by the slightly slower car via pure horsepower.

>  On the other hand Teresa Twinkletoes zooms up on a slower car letting
>  them know that she is very intent on getting around them, but then backs
>  off and leaves a bit of distance through the twisties.  As they approach
>  the start of the passing zone she is rolling on the throttle building up
>  some exit speed.  Thus as they enter the passing zone she already has
>  the pass prepped.

I agree that the second approach is better, but it seems to cause some people
to think that they're actually faster than you in the corners, and therefore
they don't owe you a pass.  Some people won't give the pass unless you've
attached yourself to their rear bumper.

The simple solution is that when a car comes up behind you, let it by.  Don't
start driving your mirrors--there is nothing worse then following someone
that's paying more attention to you than they are to the track in front of
them.  And don't make the person wait for a lap while you try to prove you can
hold them off.  If you're truly as fast as they are (or faster), you'll stay
behind them, and should get a pass on the next straight.  It's fun to exchange
passes with someone going as fast as you.  It's NO fun to be stuck behind
someone that won't let you by because they THINK they're as fast as you.

Final thought on passing, if you're in an intermediate or advanced run group,
and you take a fairly late pass stay off line into the turn (ask your
instructor if it's OK to try this--most don't mind, but a few do).  Brake a
little (or a lot) more, apex late if necessary, and try to exit fast.  Not
only is it fun, but it's a great way of learning how to drive without the
cones and standard markers--you have nothing to rely on but your eyes and what
you see as the best line based on your point of entry.  It will seem to be
almost a brand new turn.  Sure the passee will have to also slow down more
than normal for the turn, but he/she will probably appreciate that you didn't
cut in front of him/her at the last moment in order to get back on line.  Just
don't over do it--one of the most common times people go off is the next turn
after a pass.

Finally, to the gentleman that thinks you shouldn't track your car unless you
can afford to write it off--that's why I have insurance.  When I can afford to
write off an M3, it will be time for me to start club racing, and frankly, I
can't wait!

Tim Leithead
'95 M3, For Sale
Remember, at a driving school, your ego is best left in the paddock (I'm still
working on this one)