<E30> Advice on Cosmetics needed

Hello:

Has anyone tried to paint the "chrome" version (some faded metal) of the
rear window trim? I 've heard many others have had this cosmetic problem
and some were able to replace the culprit with the solid black trim
which looks a *lot* better.

I thought there might be a way to paint it so it won't have to be
removed (which could mean risk of leaks?). Has anyone been able to cover
the faded surface without it looking like a botch job? I imagine regular
paint won't stick to it straight.

Also, the rubber on the bumpers is starting to look dull.  Has anyone
used anything on these parts to "revive" them?  Just thought I 'd make
clear I am not looking to mail-order the bonus velour shop rag with the
enthousiast's care kit for ..only $199.95; rather looking for that
"common household item" at the local auto parts store which will make
the car look nicer and pamper it too.  ;-^)

TIA

Leo ('87 325 happier since master re-joined the list)