driving sim games-Best one?

Sorry to be so late picking up this old thread, but we've had such good
weather in my (St. Louis) area I hadn't given much thought to (impending
lack of) wintertime driving fun. So, was there a general consensus on
the best driving game-whether it be for a PC or dedicated game console
(Playstation, Nintendo, etc....)?  I seem to recall lots of good talk
about "Gran Turismo" for Sony playstation.  I also read a post a day or
two ago about an updated controller (Mad Catz w/ dual-shock) that seemed
to work well. How about foot pedals?   Do these games support pedals,
and if so, does anyone have a favorite?   Thanks for your help in
keeping me sane this winter!    Ken