'73 2002tii vs '99 Saturn

     I've watched with interest the discussion of the Saturn on the list.
     I own a 73 2002tii which became my daily driver when our second kid
     rendered the 88 toyota MR2 supercharged obsolete.  After a month or
     two of trying to use a dual purpose car as daily transport (autopower
     roll bar, 5 point harness, etc.) I tired of it. I had spent about
     $13000 total on the 2002 including $4500 purchase price. So I decided
     to lease the cheapest decent car I could and drive the 2002 for fun.
     The pressure of trying to maintain a 25 year old car was removing the
     fun actor for me.   A daily driver is an honorable tradition for car
     enthusiasts.

     Mine turned out to be a '99 Saturn SL.  The only significant option
     was AC.  Lease terms were $1100 down, $500 lease fee,  $134 + $10 tax
     + $19 maintenance contract +$40 insurance per month for 3 years.  It
     works out to almost exactly $250 per month.  Since the warranty is 3
     years also, this is a total cost.  Pretty good deal for a daily
     driver!

     Anyway, here's my comments from driving both cars:

     2002tii - Great handling and road feel (upgraded suspension)! Gutless
     down low, big power at 5000 rpm up.  Noisy, rattles.  Still unreliable
     (get AAA!) no AC or heater. Great visibilty.

     Saturn - Zippy, but front drive sucks!  Handles like a shopping cart
     with tiny tires.  Kind of does that one wheel stuck thing too from a
     stoplight! Decent interior, feels solid.  Quiet at 65 cruise.  After
     all this, I find myself driving the Saturn even when I don't have to!
     Why?  It's a decent car and I know it will get me there.

     The way I see it, for about $25k I have an exciting safe reliable
     comfortable car.....it's just split into 2 parts!

     regards
                Randy King
                '73 2002tii
                '79 Alfa spider race car