Re: Dinan Not

Chris wrote,snip

> Kevin,  who cares what his costs are???  I don't pay more for a product
> because the person selling it needs the money - Hey boss,  can I have a raise
> I just bought a Porsche...
>
> How does Dinan choosing to live in an expensive area impact the desirability
> of his products?

Where a company chooses to business does impact thier bottom line.  In this case, Dinan is not a good mail order company, and, if your
just looking to buy parts, look at out of state companies.  As and example, Dell and Gatway 2K are mail order business's that could not
operate in CA and be competitive.  Thats why their in Texas and Dakotas.  It is definately cheaper to operate a business in these states
and this allows them to sell cheaper computers.  The same hold true for auto parts.  Dinan is a better house for systems of components
than a mail order parts house.

I'm sorry to hear you've had bad service/un-knowledgable people help you in the past.  Agian, my experience has been good to excellant
as far back as '90 when I had the Stg. IV suspension installed by Dinan.  Here the rear sway bar mounts broke 3 times in 2 years, and
each time Dinan re-engineered the bracket to fix the problem at no charge while the car was still under factory warranty.  It's broke
twice more since then and was fixed at a cost.  But I'm really hard on my '88 535iS and this stuff happens.  Here in SF Bay Area, Dinans
shop rate is competitive and some of the systems are competative.  Case in point, their stroker M30 engine was cheaper than MM and ELP
Motorsports.  Un-fortunately they have dis-continued this development and don't offer these anymore.
    But you are right that for the most part, their parts are way to high for the DIY'r.  And I choose to buy most of my parts from out
of state companies also.  But as a shop, I've used Dinan off and on for ten years and they have always given me good service and their
E28 guru tech was extremely knowledable on the question I had.   Like I've said before, I've tried  6-7 shops over the time I've had the
E28, and only two are keepers to me here in the SF Bay Area, and Dinan is one of them.  None of the other shops had technicians who knew
more about the car than I did.  They have their faults, like alot of shops, but my money has gone there and my car is better for it.

> B) What I posted was a "Heads up" to the digest that there are a number of
> people to whom buying from Dinan is a mark of ignorance.

Agian, to me this is the difference between DIY's and the people who don't have the facilities, tools and mechanic knowledge to do the
work themselves.  I for one am one of those people.  It's a compromise in cost vs time, effort and warranty.  Individuals who have the
DIY know-how see Dinan as greedy money sucking pigs.  If you see it this way I'm sorry.  Does using Dinan make me ignorant, I think
not.  I've found Dinan to be a compentent, knowledgable and trust worthy shop where I can trust the techs to do the job right 9 of 10
times.  And here in the SF Bay Area, is there a better shop to have high perf. stuff done at(not DIYing)?  If their is, please let me
know so I can go check them out?  Maybe it's one of the shops I've been to already and choose not to use!  But, I don't believe calling
people who have used Dinan "ignorant" as fair.  There are people in the world who buy $100k Dinan modified BMWs and this is just pocket
change to them!  The money is not important, a well engineered car is.  Dinan, I believe does cater to this individual better than other
tunners.  Are these people ignorat, I think not either.  Usally, people with this much money, didn't get it from being ignorant, thier
CEOs, CFOs, VPs, Directors and ect.  I don't fall into this catagory, but I am a highly competent, motivated and schooled electronics
engineer here in the SF Bay Area.  And I certainly don't cosider myself "ignorant" on this issue or where it comes to my BMW.    Wait a
minute, "Ignorance is Bliss".    ;-)

My parting shot is, If Dinan is so un-competitive, how are they still in business,?  Why do they have a chain of BMW dealers around the
US selling Dinan modified cars, blessed by BMW NA as factory warrany OK?  I don't know of any US tunners(or DIYr) whos product/systems
don't void the  BMW factory warranty?

Take Care,
Russ