Subject: Flashing Lights Syndrome
Author:  "Michael Parker" <michaelp@domain.elided> at Internet_TCO
Date:    10/22/98 11:26 AM

Some valid techniques.

Flashing Lights Syndrome

>What are the reasons for flashing your lights?

>1. To request some idiot to get out of your way.

In 99.99% of these occurances, you are one breaking the law, so yield if
you have it yield.

2 flashes approximately 1 second apart, from 200 feet. Don't flash once
then wait for a second to perform the next flash. The time it takes to do
one flash should be 1 second. the idea is to initiate the second flash 1
second after you initiated the first, not 1 second after the first flash
has expired.

If you have the space, try not to flash just as you reach the roadblock. On
the highway, initiate one flash sequence 500 feet before you reach the
roadblock to get their attention.

Then approach with caution. Some roadblocks slowdown, not knowing your
intentions. If the roadblock does not respond then initiate the second
flash sequence 200 feet from the roadblock. Stay back. There is nothing
worse than a driver that comes right up your tail, in an attempt to force
you out of the way. If the roadblock will not move, then change lanes as
normal. If you cannot change lanes then back off. You are obviously going
too fast for the traffic.

Do not fake a lane change to spur the roadblock into action, it only
confuses the roadblock. If your intention was to pass the roadblock but you
would rather stay in your lane, then pass the roadblock and skip the flash
sequence. If you want to stay in your lane for whatever reason, then deal
with it. Two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

As irritating as it is, some roadblocks cannot be overtaken.

If the roadblock moves, then say thank you by performing the same flash
sequence after the roadblock has completely moved and you have approached
the roadblock to within 50 feet as you are overtaking. Don't be cheap. Say
thank you. After all, you could still be sitting behind the roadblock.

>2. To warn some idiot not to pull out in front of you

On the highway
1 long flash about 3 to 5 seconds. Slow down. Some roadblocks will ignore
you and change lanes anyway. Most will freeze, trying to figure out what
the light is for. That willl give you enough time to react. If you initiate
this flash sequence and accelerate to pass the roadblock, you WILL be hit,
sometime.

In slower traffic
1 long flash about 2 to 3 seconds. Slow down. Some roadblocks will ignore
you and change lanes anyway. Most will freeze, knowing that they got caught
and that you are aware of them. That willl give you enough time to react.
If you initiate this flash sequence and accelerate to pass the roadblock,
you WILL be hit, sometime.

Backoff and let it happen. There is nothing you can do about it besides
having an attack of road rage. If you do, keep it to yourself. You cannot win.

>3. To attempt to wake-up some idiot in a barge (SUV, Caddie, etc.)

To attempt to wake-up some idiot

3 to 5 flash sequences of a half second each (remember the timing) with
horn assistance.  Get their attention and keep it with lights and sound.
Backoff. Do not expect an immediate reaction.

>4. To warn other drivers (except those in barges) of a Police vehicle
ahead.

To warn other drivers of a Police vehicle ahead.

3 to 5 flash sequences of 2 seconds each (remember the timing). Only do it
once. Some jurisdictions prosecute drivers who warn other drivers. If they
cannot figure it out, then maybe that is thier fate. Drive on.

>5 To wan some law-breaker (hit and run, robber, violent criminal, etc.)
of the presence of the Law down the road.

That is their fate. Let them deal with it.

>Any other good reasons?

To warn of no headlights?

Same flash sequence as the wake-up call.

>E.K
>Not a Cop
Does it matter?
>154405
>85 535i

BTW. I own and drive, and have owned and driven, a 66 Continental, 77
Datsun Z, 76 Datsun Z, 77 Malibu, 83 Ciera, 90 Cherokee, 90 Town Car, 86 MB
560SEC, 88 MB 300CE, 82 733i. I drive cars and barges alike.

The funny thing is that most idiots on the road are the ones driving like
they are trying to prove themselves to some unknowing spirit.
Inconveniencing other drivers. I've hit things doing 160kph (wrote off the
car but only suffered a very superficial scratch on my hand when the air
bag opened) and I've hit things doing 120kph (took out 13 guard rail posts
with the side of the car. Wrapped the guard rail wire around the driver
rear wheel).  Both accidents were while driving the MB's. No, not excessive
speed or careless driving. I nodded out. Go figure.

I have been driving for 27 years and believe me, I outdrive by far, the
majority of drivers on the road. No matter what I'm driving at the time or
what they are driving at the time. I've outdriven 911's and Corvettes in my
560, MB's in my Town Car and BMW's, MB's and most others in my Cherokee
(Sport version. The most basic model available at the time).

I've seen drivers proceed along the road like some omnipotent right has
been bestowed on them for driving what they relate to as the BMW ultimate
driving machine and the MB falling in love again syndrome. NOT.

Enjoy the vehicle for what it is. Not for what level in the food chain you
think you have attained because of it.

Sure it is a rush to know that you are in the ultimate vehicle in your pack
of traffic. But enjoying it quitely is the real sign of maturity.

Michael Parker
Toronto.
michaelp@domain.elided
'82 733i 5sp