Dinan Bashing (long )

As for me when (and if) I see a Dinan "badge I'll just figure the guy
doesn't
know much about cars.  What little I know about Dinan is enough to keep
me
away from them.
Christopher

An Observation:
Is it my imagination or is Dinan bashing kind of in vogue on this
list??? Now I have heard about the tire mounting damage waiver (cheesy)
but Whats the problem with someone buying a Dinan car??? Why is it
considered (by so many) a waste of money?? Is it a waste of money to eat
at a upscale steakhouse when I know I can cook it myself or go to a
cheaper restaurant? Or if I buy my clothes at Nordstrom's does that mean
I don't know how to shop?
Now, I don't have any Dinan parts on my BMW, buts thats because I can
get the ones that I want easier and cheaper. I DO however respect Dinan
cause of the quality of their products(most) and their history of
modifing BMW's. GOOD tuner shops are VERY HARD to come by and I speak
with major experience on this. ($30,000+ in car modifications in the
past 4 years) I've never heard any really bad experiences related as to
the quality or integrity of Dinan's work.
As far as Badging, I don't get it either. If I see a no badge 5 series,
I assume that it's a lower end model. If I see a ///M Badge I look a
little closer and listen to see what OTHER mods might have been done, If
I see a Dinan Badge, I might even follow the guy into a parking lot
cause I'am wondering if he's got a turbo or a supercharger or a stroker,
etc. If I see a Dinan Badge I figure here's a guy (or gal) That's spent
some money Hmmmm, What have they done? When I see a non badged car (even
if it has an exhaust and Bitchen wheels Etc.) I'll assume that, that and
a big stereo are about it cause 99% of the time that IS about it.
I DON'T think " What a fool he spent more than he had to to get his
mods" Well, I hate to be the one to break the news to those people but
EVERYONE spends more than they HAD to. There's ALWAYS a cheaper route
you can take.
I've got a 6' tall Snap On Roll a way in my garage full of tools BUT I
run a business full time and I can no longer find the time (or afford )
to do much of the work on my cars as I would like. If I work on my cars
these days it's purely for fun (not to save money) Does that mean I
deserve less respect??
Have I missed somthing here?

Chris Barton (off my soapbox now)
1995 540 6 speed (idling in my driveway, waiting to go to vegas for
PFest.)

End of bmw-digest V9 #376